The Cicadas Have Arrived


And I’ve returned also. I stopped blogging at first because of June. Rain. Enough said. And then the weather dried up a bit and people crawled out from under their rocks and put me in a really bad mood. I promised myself this blog was going to be a positive one, all about New Yorkers and their dogs. As you can see from my post of June 6, that’s really hard to stick to in New York and so I’ve been in hiding. People are still being awfully inconsiderate, and, I’ll write about one particularly disturbing new trend later, maybe tomorrow.
But right now, I’m excited because it is August and summer has finally arrived. Walking this morning with Rochester (the handsome English Springer Spaniel in the photo) it was hot but there was sufficient shade from all the full trees (ok, so the rain was good for something) and the Cicadas were clamoring everywhere. There’s something hypnotic about the rat-a-tat-tatting of the Cicadas on a hot morning. If I close my eyes (not while walking, obviously) I imagine myself in a lush grove where trees are covered with hanging vines, something out of “Green Mansions.”
So, I’m not going to blog about things that are irritating me today. Instead, I’ll use this time to let you know that I have revamped my website Neighborhood Dogs (click here) to focus on my New York Neighborhood Dogs Project with links to our Flicker and Facebook Groups. I hope to encourage New Yorkers (and visitors to our city) to submit their photographs of the dogs they meet around the various New York parks and neighborhoods. One thing I’m interested in seeing is just how many of the registered dog breeds (and rare breeds) are represented here in NYC. The other is purely fun and artistic. I’m a painter of dogs and people, and, I love collecting inspiring images.
Enjoy these dog days of summer. Woof!

Comments