The Hidden Christmas Tree of Central Park

No Grinches in Central Park at Christmas

Valentino near our Chynna's picture on the tree.
This week, Valentino and I visited the memorial Christmas tree again.  This tree is very special to me, as it is I'm sure to many of the New Yorkers who enjoy walks and play and their lives together in Central Park on an almost daily basis.

The ornaments are modest, simple photographs and messages from people to the pets they are remembering at Christmas.  The tree and all it stands for is magnificent.  Nothing modest about the spirit and compassion it represents.



Something happened to me since writing the article, some overwhelming sadness has kept me from adding the new ornaments for all of my angels who have passed since 2009.  Especially, Giorgio.
Giorgio

If you've come across this blog, you must be a "pet person" or especially a "dog person," so I believe you'll understand the paralyzing grief we can experience upon the death of every pet we love, but, especially the soul-dogs.  Giorgio was my soul-dog.  I hope you'll read this other article, which describes how I feel about him.  A Promise To My Little Dog.

Back to the tree.
Central Park Pet's Memorial Christmas Tree 2014
 Below are links to two articles I have written about this tree (for Examiner).  One in 2009 and again, the year before Giorgio passed away.  Even though I have been unable to bring myself to put Giorgio and my late dogs and cats on the tree, going to see it and walking around the tree to see the old photo's, many of which have faded from time and rain and snow, is still a moving and uplifting experience.  I always take time to talk to people who find the tree, mostly tourists who are at first confused by it and then also moved when I point out the pets that are being remembered.

We have to thank the elves and the NYC Parks Dept for keeping up this annual tradition.  Each year, after the holidays end, the ornaments (photo's) are carefully removed and stored away to be re-hung the next year, some time around Thanksgiving.

Its something of a Christmas Miracle.  Its a gift to everyone who loves their pets, and, loves Central Park.  Please, if you enjoyed this little article and the photographs, click on the link to go to the Central Park website and make a little donation to help keep our park and memories alive.

And please read and enjoy these articles: from 2009 Hidden Christmas Tree in Central Park Memorializes Pets  and from 2011, NYC Pets Remembered in Central Park At Christmas

One more thing, please, if you find this special tree, please keep its exact location secret.  Its a hidden treasure.  Sort of a Charlie Brown-like Christmas Tree and our hope is it will always remain this way.


Peace and love.
Auntchristine and
Valentino


Comments