Hurricane Preparedness Includes Our Dogs and Cats


First a few links to NY agencies and other websites with hurricane (and possible evacuation) and pet safety information:



This is National 2009 Hurricane Preparedness Week. The start of our hurricane season is June 1st (if hurricanes can read a calendar). Either I haven't been paying attention, or, the media isn't getting on the publicity band wagon. I haven't really heard anything about getting ready, being prepared for a hurricane.


And yes, NYC can indeed be threatened seriously by a strong hurricane. I personally have not had to evacuate my residence with my cats and dogs, but, there are plenty of New Yorkers living in areas that are threatened by floods in heavy rains and so I'm doing my civic duty by writing this little blog entry. I would like to think I'm helping even just one person and their pets (I don't hold out any delusions that I can save New York through a little blog that practically no one is reading).

Most of the information provided by government agencies (see links above) New Yorkers already have drilled into our minds after 9/11. I know I decided then to always keep certain supplies on hand for myself and the pets. I purchased enough hard sided carriers (kennels) to be able to bring everyone (including visiting small dogs) with me in case of evacuation. Everyone has a microchip ID and a standard ID, and, the dogs have their NYC Dog Licenses (which provide another way to reunite you with your dog should you get separated).

My "Go Bag" includes , the paper copy of their licenses, their recent vet records--who is being treated for what and where to call to get prescriptions if needed. My home emergency "kit" (for disasters where we might get stuck indoors cut off from food and water) includes keeping a gallon of water in the cabinet, and, always making sure I never run low on the dogs and cats foods--keep at least two weeks supply on hand at all times. This matters to me especially because I have four pets here on different prescription diets. I also never run too low on their prescriptions and always have them reordered before we get lower than one week's supply.

I keep the dogs collars and leads hanging on hooks near the door at all times. I always want to be able to grab them in case we have to exit the building quickly and there's no time to get everyone into the kennels.


As it happens, I have a well-stocked pet emergency kit. As a dog nanny, I've acquired and keep assorted supplies for minor pet injuries and ailments. Oh, and flea and tick spray and collars. If you don't have a pet emergency kit, you can easily create one or purchase one that's ready-made (see links).

We probably don't have to worry about ever needing our Go Bags because of a hurricane in NYC (except perhaps those in flood areas), but, I think you'll agree, New Yorkers (and people who survived the two recent hurricanes in the South and Southwest) understand the importance of being prepared, that being prepared isn't the same as being worried and frightened, just ready to cope with anything should it happen. Do you have anything to add from your own personal experience, perhaps from 9/11 or going through a flood with your pets? Please add your comments below (you do not have to be a member).

Comments