Strolling Around Central Park


Stroller dogs!
I love 'em. I have two strollers (had three but wore one out) and I make good use of them. (See a photo of my Giorgio in his stroller here.)
The cutie in this photo was actually walking alongside the stroller but her nice Mom put her in just for this photograph (thank you).
This is the lovely and happy Shana, as seen near the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park this morning. And what a beautiful morning it was too. (I'm being careful not to mention the unpleasant dog things I saw on this morning's walk). I think I may have another photo or two of Shana from the winter months when I believe she and her mom were out and about near Bow Bridge).
I know what you're thinking, we must be giving in to some maternal instincts treating our dogs like babies, or, revisiting our girlhood when pushing a stroller with our dolly was such great fun. No, not really. Behind every dog stroller is a very utilitarian reason for pushing a dog, instead of walking one.
Anyone who has small dogs knows there are times when they just slow down. Carrying a dog, even a small dog, any distance is no fun because they turn into dead weight. I swear I've carried a five pound dog who suddenly becomes a twenty pound sack of potatoes.
And there can be health reasons for giving a dog a ride. In my case, my Maltese, Giorgio, has a serious heart condition. We always walk with the stroller so Giorgio can get exercise walking and then also get a ride so that he isn't over-doing it, especially if it gets too hot (or too cold).
Sometime I'll have a whole pack of little dogs with me in which case the large stroller is used. The dogs do walk when we get to the park, but, I put them in the stroller to navigate safely through the New York City sidewalk traffic. Don't get me started on a discussion of the way people walk here (hardly anyone stays to the right or watches where they're going). The stroller is a real paw saver for the little dogs.
Anyway. Thank you to Shana for posing so beautifully for us this morning!

Comments