Good morning, darling, your breakfast is ready.











Not you, dear, I meant the dog. It had to happen sooner or later, prepared specific meals for our dogs. This article in the NY Times caught my eye "Newspaper for Dogs Has Bite, if Not Taste." I'm on the look out for dog-related periodicals that provide trends, new products, and list events in NYC and I thought this might be a new publication of interest. Turns out, the newspaper, "The West Highland Herald," is a fictional periodical, a marketing gimmick from Mars Petcare U.S. and its agency, the BBDO West division of BBDO Worldwide announcing their newest gourmet breakfast dog food, Cesar Sunrise.
If you didn't receive one of the 360,000 papers that were distributed in New York (and three other markets) you can view the periodical on its very own website (click here). Here's a little sample from one of the entries:

Catnip Pyramid Scheme Sends Pooch to Pound
A well-known Yorkie was sentenced Friday to three months in a
high-security federal kennel for fleecing friends and business associates in
what authorities labeled a get-rich quick plot gone awry.
Read
more…

And, of course, there are the obligatory cute dog images, including the very tired depiction of a little Dachshund on a hot dog bun.
Maybe I've just been around too long? It just all feels too familiar to be amusing. I confess I have a long-standing pet peeve against anything written in the voice of the pet (dog, cat, whatever). I am resisting sinking to that level on my blog. It irritates me like chalk on a blackboard.
As for the food, I have no objections to a specific prepared (tinned) pet food meant to be served at breakfast time (and perhaps as a midnight tapas?) to a small dog (Cesar dog foods are specifically meant for little dogs). Small dogs often eat three and sometimes four distinct daily meals. And as a dog-nanny, I have cooked many a breakfast for a visiting dog (egg white omelet with cheese and veggies). So, I guess it is just the newspaper, the marketing gimmick that irritates me. Here's the link to find out more about Cesar's Sunrise.
What do you think of the marketing campaign, or of the food? Am I just a jaded New York dog-nanny? Please comment below.





Comments